- 1 When was Take My Hand Precious Lord written?
- 2 Who originally sang Take My Hand Precious Lord?
- 3 Is Precious Lord Take My Hand a hymn?
- 4 Is Precious Lord a funeral song?
- 5 Which artist was known as the father of gospel?
- 6 What is it called when you sing without instruments?
- 7 Who sang Precious Lord at MLK funeral?
- 8 Was Tommy Dorsey black?
- 9 What hymns did Thomas Dorsey write?
- 10 What are the most popular funeral hymns?
When was Take My Hand Precious Lord written?
–It was written in 1932 by the Rev. Dorsey, the music director at Chicago’s Pilgrim Baptist Church from the ’30s to the ’70s, penned the song days after the death of his wife Nettie Harper in childbirth and his infant son.
Who originally sang Take My Hand Precious Lord?
The earliest known recording was made on February 16, 1937, by the Heavenly Gospel Singers (Bluebird B6846). ” Take My Hand, Precious Lord ” was first published in 1938. ” Take My Hand, Precious Lord ” is published in more than 40 languages.
Is Precious Lord Take My Hand a hymn?
” Precious Lord, Take My Hand ” is a hymn written by Thomas Dorsey in 1932 with music by George Allen.
Is Precious Lord a funeral song?
‘Take My Hand, Precious Lord ‘ Sung at the funeral of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., it is the most-recorded gospel song ever.
Which artist was known as the father of gospel?
Thomas Andrew Dorsey, (born July 1, 1899, Villa Rica, Ga., U.S.—died Jan. 23, 1993, Chicago, Ill.), American songwriter, singer, and pianist whose many up-tempo blues arrangements of gospel music hymns earned him the title of “Father of Gospel Music.”
What is it called when you sing without instruments?
Although a cappella is technically defined as singing without instrumental accompaniment, some groups use their voices to emulate instruments; others are more traditional and focus on harmonizing.
Who sang Precious Lord at MLK funeral?
Many watched on television on April 9, 1968, as the late Mahalia Jackson sang at Martin Luther King’s funeral, his favorite hymn, ” Precious Lord “.
Was Tommy Dorsey black?
This inspired Dorsey to establish the National Convention of Gospel Choirs and Choruses, serving as its president for six decades. Dorsey was inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 1982, and he was also the first African-American elected to enter the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame.
What hymns did Thomas Dorsey write?
|Title||Written by||Original date|
|Hide Me in Thy Bosom||Thomas A. Dorsey||June 16, 1937|
|If You See My Saviour||Thomas A. Dorsey||January 1932|
|I’m Going to Live the Life I Sing About in My Song||Thomas A. Dorsey||July 1956|
|It’s Tight Like That||Tampa Red, Thomas A. Dorsey||October 24, 1928|
What are the most popular funeral hymns?
Here are seven of the most popular hymns for funerals:
- Jerusalem. And did those feet in ancient time.
- The Lord’s My Shepherd ( Psalm 23 ) The Lord’s my Shepherd, I’ll not want;
- Abide With Me. Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
- Amazing Grace. Amazing grace!
- How Great Thou Art.
- The Old Rugged Cross.
- Lord of All Hopefulness.